Re: Open Video in Brazil (FISL talk with subtitles)

Felipe Sanches

Jul 4, 2009, 3:03:37 AM7/4/09
to Fabricio Zuardi, Holmes Wilson, community-w...@lists.mozilla.org, Bruno Magrani, Mark Surman, Marcio Galli, Elizabeth Stark, chof...@mozilla.org, Den Jansen
Sometime ago, Holmes Wilson provided me access to a server where I was
allowed to host a wiki. I installed a mediawiki there and then wrote a
greasemonkey script to fetch subtitles for youtube videos that were
stored in the wiki.

Today i have adapted that script. I have reused Fabricio's script for
subtitling html5 video tags and hooked it to the wiki via
xmlhttprequest.

Here is the greasemonkey script:
http://bighead.poli.usp.br/~juca/code/greasemonkey/wiki_subs.user.js

And here is a test page:
http://www.gpopai.usp.br/subs/test_wikisubs.html

whose content is simply this:

<video src="http://www.fabricio.org/talks/2009/fisl10/FISL10-Zuardi.ogg"
controls>

The greasemonkey script will try to fetch the content of the subtitles
from the following wikipage:
http://www.wstr.org/subs/index.php?title=Subtitles/URL/http://www.fabricio.org/talks/2009/fisl10/FISL10-Zuardi.ogg

In cases when the wiki page is empty (i.e. no subtitle available) a
message will be displayed in the player inviting the user to
contribute a new transcription of the video in the wiki (it gives a
direct link to the wiki page where the subs have to be saved).

Some known issues:
* Currently this "no subs available, please contribute" message is a
bit intrusive. It is just a proof of concept. Its usability still
surely needs some improvement.
* font size should be automatically adjusted to the best size
depending on the video dimensions
* video url can be specified in other ways such as by using <source>
tags withing the <video> tag. Handling of this case is not implemented
yet.
* We can have only one subtitle per video at the moment. We need to
figure out how the different subtitles and their respective
translations will be stored in the wiki-server. Once we decide that, I
can implement the user interface for subtitles selection.
* current implementation is not decentralized. We need a p2p-wiki
implementation or something similar that could provide us
decentralized and scalable subs repositories.

TODO:
* the subtitles wiki can already be accessed and subtitles edited
directly thorugh the mediawiki interface. In the future we can improve
its appearence and develop some subtitling specific mediawiki
extensions so that it might work as a subtitling wiki-portal.
* Subs editing interface in the player itself still needs to be implemented.
* I intend to implement it as an addon instead of greasemonkey script
since addons might be easier to install. I also intend to participate
in the addons contest. But first I need to read some addon development
tutorials :-)

Felipe Sanches

PS: I emailed all of you directly, but also already sent this message
to community-w...@lists.mozilla.org
I'd like to be sure that everybody is already subscribed to that list
before I start to send messages only through the list.

ginger

Jul 5, 2009, 9:10:49 PM7/5/09
Hi Felipe,

That's a neat little script you produced. I have added it to my list
of javascripts that I know about that provide subtitles for HTML5
video, see http://blog.gingertech.net/2008/12/12/attaching-subtitles-to-html5-video/
.

I wanted to point out to you that there is already a extension to
mediawiki that provides for user-contributed captions, that you may
want to have a look at. It's Metavidwiki: http://metavid.org/wiki/ is
run using it.

BTW: I have a contract with Mozilla Corp for working out a standard
way to associate captions with the HTML5 video element and I hope to
find a means that all browser vendors will implement natively, such
that the association of subtitles, the selection of tracks and their
display in the browser will already come built-in.

Cheers,
Silvia.

On Jul 4, 5:03 pm, Felipe Sanches <felipe.sanc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sometime ago, Holmes Wilson provided me access to a server where I was
> allowed to host a wiki. I installed a mediawiki there and then wrote a
> greasemonkey script to fetch subtitles for youtube videos that were
> stored in the wiki.
>
> Today i have adapted that script. I have reused Fabricio's script for
> subtitling html5 video tags and hooked it to the wiki via
> xmlhttprequest.
>
> Here is the greasemonkey script:http://bighead.poli.usp.br/~juca/code/greasemonkey/wiki_subs.user.js
>
> And here is a test page:http://www.gpopai.usp.br/subs/test_wikisubs.html
>
> whose content is simply this:
>
>   <video src="http://www.fabricio.org/talks/2009/fisl10/FISL10-Zuardi.ogg"
> controls>

> The greasemonkey script will try to fetch the content of the subtitles

> from the following wikipage:http://www.wstr.org/subs/index.php?title=Subtitles/URL/http://www.fab...

> to  community-web-standa...@lists.mozilla.org

Felipe Sanches

Jul 5, 2009, 9:40:26 PM7/5/09
to ginger, community-w...@lists.mozilla.org
I am improving this script to deal with multiple subtitles and languages for a given video. Once it is done I'll send another email so that you can test it.

The original html5 video subtitling script was written by Fabricio Zuardi. I have just converted it to a greasemonkey script and added wiki-storage based on a mediawiki server.

Have you seen this page at the wiki?
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Video:Subtitles:Brainstorming

Felipe Sanches

Silvia Pfeiffer

Jul 5, 2009, 10:05:31 PM7/5/09
to Felipe Sanches, community-w...@lists.mozilla.org
Nice page - I think you got it right. This is what we want to enable
with native subtitle support in the browser - take away the stuff that
needs to be handled by a standard, but enable you to create a flexible
wiki-style service for captions.

Have you seen dotsub? They do that kind of thing, but not as an open
source application.

Also, did you see
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/Video_Accessibility, and in
particular https://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility/Video_a11y_Study08 ?

Cheers,
Silvia.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Felipe Sanches<felipe....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am improving this script to deal with multiple subtitles and languages for
> a given video. Once it is done I'll send another email so that you can test
> it.
>
> The original html5 video subtitling script was written by Fabricio Zuardi. I
> have just converted it to a greasemonkey script and added wiki-storage based
> on a mediawiki server.
>
> Have you seen this page at the wiki?
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Video:Subtitles:Brainstorming
>
> Felipe Sanches

Felipe Sanches

Jul 5, 2009, 11:07:38 PM7/5/09
to Silvia Pfeiffer, community-w...@lists.mozilla.org

Have you seen dotsub? They do that kind of thing, but not as an open
source application.

I have just felt as if I were deaf for a moment because my soundcard stoped working for some reason.

I couldnt select subtitles in dotsub flash video player because the subtitles menu does not work properly with my free software flash plugin (swfdec 0.6.0) :-(

It is an interesting subs website, anyway. But I dislike having to subscribe in order to contribute.

I'll read these pages, thanks.

Felipe Sanches

Silvia Pfeiffer

Jul 6, 2009, 12:13:01 AM7/6/09
On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Felipe Sanches<felipe....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Have you seen dotsub? They do that kind of thing, but not as an open
>> source application.
>
> I couldnt select subtitles in dotsub flash video player because the
> subtitles menu does not work properly with my free software flash plugin
> (swfdec 0.6.0) :-(

Have you tried gnash instead?

> It is an interesting subs website, anyway. But I dislike having to subscribe
> in order to contribute.

I know. But then, you have to get an account on wikipedia as well in
order to contribute.

Cheers,
Silvia.